At Hawkins Family Dentistry in Salem, Oregon, dental bridges are an option which our experienced dentist, Dr. Lori Hawkins, may recommend for missing teeth. You will want to take good care of your bridge, just as you keep your natural teeth and gums healthy by brushing at least twice each day and flossing at least once every day.
Dental plaque tends to accumulate on the surfaces in the mouth that lie under your bridge, and one effective way to remove this accumulation of plaque is by cleaning with superfloss. Superfloss has a stiff-end threader, spongy floss, and regular floss to clean effectively around your dental bridge. To clean using superfloss, follow these steps:
- Step 1- Place the stiffened end of the floss into the space between the bridge and the tooth, and pull the floss until the spongy part reaches the bridge.
- Step 2- Wrap the spongy part of the floss around your natural tooth, and slide up and down to clean the nearby tooth surface.
- Step 3- Gently work the spongy floss between the gum area and the bottom of the bridge, by wiping back and forth to clear the plaque from under the artificial tooth.
- Step 4- Take the spongy floss and wrap it around your natural tooth on the opposite side of the bridge, and carefully slide it up and down to remove plaque from the nearby tooth’s surface.
- Step 5- Carefully pull the floss out from the area between the tooth and your bridge. Use the regular floss to clear plaque from the nearby surfaces for the rest of your teeth.
In addition to caring for your dental bridge, maintaining routine dental cleanings and checkups will keep your teeth and gums healthy to support your bridge.
Dr. Lori Hawkins and our team are here to work with you to ensure a healthy and confident smile for years to come. If you have any questions or would like to schedule a visit, please give us a call at 740-423-8416 today.