Great smiles take patience, care, and a commitment to healthy oral hygiene habits daily. Brushing twice daily and flossing daily are an integral part of your oral health. However, they are merely methods of treatment to protect your teeth and gums on the oral battlefield. Additional layers of protection far in advance are just as beneficial. Most risks of tooth decay and gum disease can be dealt with before they ever even touch your teeth and gums.
Protect your smile from the outside dangers that seek to damage it. Here are some tips to keep your mouth happy and healthy:
– Avoid sweet treats: Sugary-sweet drinks and treats can increase your risk for tooth decay and gum disease.
– Avoid oral accidents: Watch out for oversized chocolate bars or hard candies as they may chip or crack your teeth. When it comes to sweets, never bite off more than you can chew.
– Choose sweets carefully: Replace chewy, sour, and hard candies with better options such as chocolate or sugarless gum. Look for sugarless gum with the ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Make a plan: If you prepare in advance for your oral health care, you are less likely to suffer setbacks or overindulge on days of celebration or merrymaking.
– Schedule a visit: Always set aside time each year for oral exams and professional cleanings from our dentists at Hawkins Family Dentistry at our office in Belpre, Ohio.
Your oral health care should remain an integral part of your lifestyle all year long. For special occasions, such as Valentine’s Day, extra care and attention should be given to your teeth and gums. If you would like to set up an appointment with Dr. Lori Hawkins, please call our office at 740-423-8416. We make smiles brighter!